Renting for a longer period of time will undoubtedly present you with challenges and problems you haven’t faced before.

If you’re looking for more help, OR you don’t know if the information you’ve read is credible, the following collection of websites is just the thing you need. This page is an index of the best renting related websites, tools and organizations to help you solve a problem and lead a better life on rent.

We’re going to continue updating and improving this page, so you can bookmark it for later use, when you need it. Also, please suggest any great renting websites and tools we have missed. We’re counting on you for your contributions.

Government Websites And Tools

The government website offers a huge amount of information about your rights and responsibilities when renting, working and living in the UK. If you’re new to renting, or new to the UK (or both), this is the best starting point you can ask for.

The Official Legislation

The online online portal is where the government publishes old and new legislation. If you’re looking for a law that relates to your problem or want to find a specific one, this is the place to be. It’s helpful when you are in dispute with the landlord or the letting agent. Step one is knowing your rights and your landlord’s responsibilities, step two is proving them.

HM Land Registry

The official land registry can provide you information about a property even if you don’t own it. You can purchase a copy of the register, using just the postcode of your property and get information such as the owner’s name, the floor plan and whether there is a mortgage.

This will come in handy when you need to find or verify your landlord’s identity.

How to Rent (Government)

The Government’s guide “How to Rent” is a legal requirement included in the Deregulation Act 2015. Landlords have to serve you with a copy of this guide (could be in digital PDF format as well), at the start of each Assured Shorthold tenancy, so you can get to know your tenant rights and responsibilities.

For tenancies starting after October 1st 2015, the landlord cannot use a Section 21 “no fault” eviction notice if this guide was not provided to you.

Local Councils

This tool helps you find your local council with just your postcode. You will need the council for a great deal of task. One of the most important ones is paying your council tax, which is your responsibility when renting privately.

The council can also help you when your landlord ignores their responsibilities, for example by not repairing a known problem that causes you inconvenience. The Environmental Health Department makes sure living conditions are maintained in rented accommodation and helps citizens resolve problems with their rented properties.

Each time the landlord is not acting as they should, you may seek the help of the Environmental Health Department at your local council.

Contact Local MPs and Councilors – Write To Them

When neither your landlord, or your council will listen, your last option remains in the politicians that govern you. Write to them is a great website, ran by the mySociety charity, that helps citizens connect with their MPs, councilors, assembly members and lords.

Note: This is not a government website, but is placed here for consistency and organization purposes.

Housing / Legal Advice Services


Shelter is the oldest housing and homelessness charity in the UK. Formed 1966 the organization has been helping people find a place to call home ever since.

Shelter runs a free housing advice helpline where you can call and get help with your renting problems every day of the year. If you have an issue with your home, call Shelter at 0808 800 4444.

To find advice locally, in person, you can use the Shelter Advice Finder, to get in touch with a local bureau of Shelter, Citizen Advice or other humanitarian organizations.

Finally, you can use the Shelter website, where you find a plethora of knowledge and information about renting, tenant and landlord rights, responsibilities and what to do at when at risk of homelessness.

Citizen Advice

Citizen Advice is the largest network of public, housing and consumer advice providers. Government established and funded 1939 and has helped citizens with problems of ANY KIND ever since.

They run the biggest consumer advice service, including:

3,500 physical locations – Find the nearest one to you at their website, or using the Shelter Advice Finder.

Citizen Advice consumer helpline – call 03454 04 05 06 to get consumer advice – Mon – Fri – 9am – 5pm

Citizen Advice online – Where you will find the biggest database of consumer advice on: housing, debt and money, healthcare, work, law and rights, tax, and everything in between.

Housing Executive NI

Housing Executive NI is the strategic housing authority in Northern Ireland. They offer a wide range of services for private and social renters, including online adviceaccommodation and a phone helpline – 03448 920 900.

If you’re renting in Northern Ireland, this is where you go to solve problems with your rented property, or find accommodation.

Tenant Assist

Tenant Assist is a free advisory service which will provide free consultation on problems related to your tenancy deposit, housing disrepair and health hazards.  You can contact them by submitting the form to the right.

The Tenant Assist team will review your case and check if your deposit is properly protected. Then, you will receive information on your rights and actionable steps to resolve the problem or seek compensation.

Housing Law Practitioners Association

The HLPA unites many practitioners who believe in and defend tenant’s rights to a good home. Each member is an experienced legal practitioner who has signed up to the organisation’s code of conduct to provide a fair and ethical service and always work in their clients best interests.

If you’re looking for a good housing lawyer, the HLPA’s members list is excellent. Even though this is a paid alternative, your legal costs can be recouped upon successful court action.

Law Centers Network

The Law Centers Network offers local help to communities. You can visit a local Law Center from the list and you can receive free legal help and representation on matters regarding social welfare, housing, employment and public and communal issues.

Each local Law Center is operated and managed by local people of your community, which ensures that you get relevant help and advice to your problems.


Lawworks is a unique charity that connects individuals looking for legal advice and help with lawyers and specialists that have agreed to work on cases for free. This pro-bono means of operations ensures that people have their needs serviced by working (and competitive) legal professional for free.

Legal advice is available for all kinds of situations and issues, of which housing is only a fraction. However, when you’re looking for a solicitor to help you out, but you can’t afford it, Lawworks is one of the first places to check.


Advice4Renters, previously Brent Private Tenants Rights Group, is an organisation entirely focused to provide advice and help for private tenants in London.

The organisation can help you out with legal information and advice regarding renting. Their Legal Aid advice service a free scheme, where anyone can get help with their housing problems, however, it is limited to a fixed number of cases each year, as it operates under Government funding.

The Tenant’s Voice Guides on Renting:

Official Guides and Template Letters

The following guides are produced by The Tenants’ Voice and cover popular topics where tenants and landlord often dispute. The guides are reviewed by our own lettings expert – Kristjan Byfield.

The guides will explain the laws at work for the given topic. You will learn your rights, responsibilities and get actionable advice on how to resolve each problem.

Additionally, you will find template letters to help you ease your official communication with your landlord or letting agent.

Get Your Heating Or Boiler Repaired In 4 Steps

Heating and hot water are essential utilities to every home. Many tenants experience problems with their installations, especially during the cold seasons.

It’s your landlord’s responsibility to repair and maintain your heating system and boiler. All rented properties must meet sufficient room temperatures and provide hot water at all times.

Download this guide and get your heating installation and boiler in check.

Moving in? – Get Your Deposit Protected

If you ever rented, you undoubtedly have dealt with tenancy deposits. Surprisingly, not all tenants and not even all landlords know the rules about tenancy deposit protection.

Your landlord is responsible for protecting your deposit with a government-authorised scheme. They have to complete a very strict procedure and meet the legal deadline. Otherwise, you may be eligible for a compensation.

Moving out? – Get Your Deposit Back

Because of the complexity of the topic, we also made a separate guide on how to deal with deposit deductions at the end of the tenancy and get your money back.

Many tenants experience a very stressful time the end of the tenancy. One contributing factor is that often landlord are hard on the tenant regarding the check-out condition of the property and try to claim large sums of the their deposits.

To make sure your property is ready for the check-out inventory, you should download this guide and follow the steps.

Tenant Organizations Across The UK

Generation Rent

Generation Rent is the leading campaign organiser to secure professionally managed, secure, decent and affordable privately rented homes.

Generation Rent works to change the laws, policies and attitude of the private rented industry to help private tenants live a better life on rent. Furthermore, it helps communities to setup local action groups that will lead the fight in their area.

If you feel the industry is unfair for private renters, visit Generation Rent and see how you can take action !

Private Tenant Local Groups

Tenant groups offer help and support for all their members. By joining your local tenant organisation, you will get access to a lot of information regarding renting and relationships between landlords and tenants. You can attend meetings and events, where you can network with other tenants and get to know like-minded people.

This will make you part of something bigger and allow you to effectively campaign and act to change the legislation and policies that hurt tenants and make renting better for everybody.

Landlord Accreditation Schemes And Regulatory Bodies

The following associations and organisations provide landlords with training and accreditation. They serve to professionalise private landlords and offer them support and guidance. It’s recommended that you always choose a landlord who has credentials of one of the following associations.

Landlord associations enforce a professional code of conduct, which rules that member landlords should act ethically and uphold all their legal responsibilities. Additionally, they offer a complaint route available for tenants and information about renting.

You can contact the association you’re landlord is a member of, and validate whether your landlord follows the rules in the given situation. As the accreditation schemes are voluntary for landlord there is no way for an association to enforce the law upon the landlord, but they can assist you in solving problems and negotiating.

Letting Agent Accreditation Schemes And Regulatory Bodies

Similar to landlord associations, letting agents also have accreditation schemes and associations. They offer training, support and tools to become real professionals in the letting industry. It’s always recommended to deal with letting agents who have some form of accreditation by a large national scheme. In doing so, you can at least make sure the letting agent will KNOW the laws and a decent security they will also follow them.

Letting Agent Redress Schemes

In addition to voluntary accreditation schemes, letting agents are also required by law to participate in a government-authorised redress schemes. There are only three schemes available in England, so it’s easy to check whether your letting agent is following the rules…

From 1st October 2014, the government introduced a new legislation, requiring letting agents to sign up to a redress scheme. Not complying with this rule is a criminal offence and the local council can fine the letting agent up to £5000.

Tenants can use the redress scheme to complain against the letting agent and request help in resolving a dispute. Things that you can complain about include:

  • Unfair, undisclosed or vague letting fees;
  • Misleading property marketing and unclear descriptions;
  • Not respecting tenant rights or breaking the law;

The three government-authorised letting agent redress schemes are:

Deposit Protection Schemes

When you enter in an Assured Shorthold tenant, which is the standard type of tenancy in the private sector, you will most likely have to pay a deposit between 4 – 6 weeks worth of rent. To combat the huge disparity between the power of landlords and tenants when the tenancy ends and the deposit is to be split, the government introduced a new legislation on 6th April 2007.

According to the newly updated Housing Act 2004, private landlords are required to protect their tenants’ deposit in a government-authorised scheme, which will hold the money for the duration of the tenancy and when it ends, assist landlords to fairly discount money from the tenant’s deposit AND assist tenants in getting back their deposit.

The procedure to protect the deposit is strict and the landlord needs to meet a set deadline before they fail the legal requirements irreversibly. Deposit protection has further implications in addition to the deposit money alone.

Landlords who fail the procedure cannot use valid Section 21 eviction notices and are liable for compensation following court action.

The three government-authorised deposit protection schemes are:

Renting Advice Websites And Housing Law Blogs

The Tenants’ Voice

At The Tenants’ Voice, we offer a great amount of information our Help and Advice section. More than 150 articles will help you learn your rights, your responsibilities and the laws that govern your rented property.

Furthermore, we publish weekly articles that cover popular questions or interesting insight into the rented industry.

Landlord Law Blog

The Landlord Law Blog is ran by Tessa Shepperson, one of the most renowned landlord and tenant law specialists. She frequently discusses laws and regulations and deconstructs their significance for different situations.

If you’re looking to understand how landlord and tenant law works and learn the intricate details of landlord and tenant relations, Landlord Law Blog is one of the best places to visit.

Nearly Legal

Nearly Legal is a specialist housing law website, where actual solicitors and barristers practising in the field blog about their work. It’s the brainchild of Giles Peaker, who is one of the most respected and active housing law specialists on the web.

The website reports on all significant and interesting court cases related to housing law. They keep up with it, so we don’t have to. Furthermore, you can find great information and commentary on the ongoing developments news in housing law.

The Landlord / Property Investment Project

Property Investment Project is a blog maintained by “The Landlord” as he calls himself. The Landlord discusses his journey into property investment and being a landlord on a daily basis. As DIY landlord, he often publishes valuable information for landlords on how to manage a property, what responsibilities they need to take care of and generally how to do a good job as a landlord.

In the process, The Landlord shares valuable first-hand information into the rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords.

Property Industry Eye

Just as the name suggests, Property Industry Eye is the watchdog of the lettings industry. If you’re looking for news about the private renting sector, interesting opinions of lettings professional and the newest information on legislation changes regarding renting, “the EYE” as it’s commonly referred is a resource you don’t want to skip.

Renting And Property Forums

If you rent long enough, you’ll eventually end up in a situation where no textbook tells you how to handle. In this case, you will need specific advice for your unique need. Of course, you can go and book an appointment with a solicitor, or phone Shelter, or Citizen Advice, but the Internet offers a great way to get access to information on specific questions – forums.

The forums below, big and small, offer a great opportunity for tailored advice. Just always remember to take information as is, and to pursue more credible help before taking actions that can potentially backfire and cause more problems than it solves.

You can also join The Tenants’ Voice Facebook Support Groupwhere the community and the admins will try to answer your questions and where you can discuss renting topics with other tenants.

Landlord / Agent Rate and Review Websites

Rogue landlords and agents can ruin your life for a long period of time ! Not researching your potential landlord or letting agent is a risk you want to avoid at all cost. The most effective measure against rogue landlords and agents is exchanging information with the community.

In the digital age, tenants are recommended to use review websites to research their landlord and letting agent and get other tenants’ point of view. Furthermore, tenants should leave reviews of their landlords and letting agent, so other tenants can make informed decisions about their homes. If all tenants are active with their reviews, the community can effectively cut out the rogues itself.

We recommend using the websites listed on the right to find and post reviews about your landlord and letting agent.

Renting Tools And Services

Tenancy Deposit Checker

Our Tenancy Deposit Checker is a simple but effective tool. It allows you to quickly check if your deposit is protected in any of the three legally operating deposit protection schemes in England. Upon finding your deposit, it will provide contact details and links for the according scheme.

Upon a negative result, you have the option to contact our partner solicitors and get a free consultation about possible steps to file a claim against your landlord and seek compensation because your deposit was not protected.

Get free legal consultation

Depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible to claim compensation up to 3x the original deposit. There are more factors than you may consider, so always consult a licensed professional before taking legal action.

You can get a FREE, non-binding consultation about your deposit from Deposit Recovery Claims. To do that:

  • First, use the Tenancy Deposit Checker to see if your landlord has protected your deposit.
  • When you receive your result, follow the link to Deposit Recovery Claims.
  • Complete the form with more details about your tenancy and deposit
  • You will be contacted for a free non-obligatory consultation about your deposit.
  • This is FREE! You pay nothing if you decide to quit.

Get your claim filed and handled

Pending the consultation, you may be eligible for receiving compensation due to incorrectly protected deposit. The circumstances will dictate how feasible chasing this compensation really is. Deposit Recovery Claims will advise you on your odds at successfully claiming any amount.

If you decide to pursue, Deposit Recovery Claims can draft and file the claim in your name and handle the legal process until it is resolved with a court decision. This will cost you some fraction of the awarded sum (only payable upon securing the money). You will have to provide information and legal documents, like your tenancy agreement and deposit payment receipt.

Property Details

Check your tenancy agreement and deposit certificate for the correct information.

Tenants' Details

Please enter the names of all of the tenants in the property.

Contact Details

Your personal information will be used only for searching purposes.

Please wait whilst a search is made ...

Your deposit is protected

We found a record of your deposit at . Visit the link to review your deposit. Your landlord could have made errors in the procedure.

  • Misspelling your name or not adding all tenants on the record.
  • Not protecting the full amount which you paid.
  • Taking more than 30 days to submit your deposit in the scheme.
  • Not providing you with a pack of information about the deposit scheme.

You can contact our free advice service for help. Simply press the button and our team of consultants contact you about your deposit.

Your deposit is not protected

We checked all three schemes, but we didn't find a record of your deposit. The law requires your landlord to protect your deposit in a government-backed scheme within 30 days from taking the money. You need to receive a pack of prescribed information.

If your deposit is not protected, your landlord is liable for a penatly. You may claim compensation between 1x and 3x the original deposit.

Press the button below to get contacted about your deposit! A team of consultants will review your case and advise you on your options.

Fast facts about your deposit:

  • Your landlord is solely reponsible for protecting your deposit.
  • They can choose one of three schemes - MyDeposits, TDS or DPS.
  • After receiving your deposit, your landlord has 30 days to protect it.
  • You should receive detailed information about the deposit scheme.
  • Failure in either step will make your landlord liable for a penalty.
  • You can claim between 1x and 3x the original deposit.


Rentonomy is an absolutely fabulous website. The company makes great efforts to research London’s renting industry and provide insightful information for tenants. If you’re planning to live in London, this website will help you drill down in the thousands of options you have and pick the right area, rent budget, and the finite details of your next property.

Rentonomy also runs a property search engine, although not a match for portals like Rightmove in that category.

Letting Fees Uk

Letting Fees UK is a project created by Generation Rent to compare letting fees for more than 900 letting agents across London. The goal of the project is to highlight inconsistencies in the industry and provide a broader picture into what kind of fees are being charged to tenants by various letting agents.

You can use the website to research a letting agent with no or low fees who serves an area you’d like to rent. By approaching renting from this angle, you ensure that your expenditure on lettings fees is brought down to a minimum.

The Tenants’ Voice Deals and Promotions

Switch Your Utility Providers With uSwitch

Gas and electricity bills can be a huge burden. Especially in the winter months, as we crank up the heating units at home. One way to reduce these expenses, without putting on additional layers of clothing is to explore whether other energy providers can offer lower prices.

The energy sector is a competitive market and different providers frequently launch new plans which offer better economy.

uSwitch is a free service which allows you to compare all available offers for your property and switch to the best one for your needs in just a couple of minutes. It’s absolutely free for you and no engineering visits are required.

Read the article on our blog which provides extended information about energy switching for tenants and rented properties – Switch your energy provider and save money

Get 10% OFF Home and Garden Services By Fantastic Services

We’ve secured a 10% discount with the best domestic service provider in the UK – Fantastic Services. We’ve chosen Fantastic Services because of their customer-centric business model, their quality of service and their outstanding attention to detail.

Follow the links on the right and use The Tenants’ Voice exclusive promo code – FTTV10* – to get 10% discount on any of their 25+ services.

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services). Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.

DIY Asbestos Test Kit

If you’re worried about asbestos in your home, by far the easiest way to do it is with an Asbestos Test Kit by

The kit contains all the necessary personal protection equipment to allow you to safely acquire a sample of the tested material. Then you will post the sample to the testing laboratory using the prepaid and addressed postage included in your kit. Finally, you’re going to receive SMS notification of the results and email certificate.

Here is what you get in the test kit:

  • CAT 5/6 coveralls
  • P3 filtered mask
  • Nitrile powder-free gloves
  • Sample collection bags
  • UN standard asbestos waste bags
  • Prepaid postage to test lab

Get FREE Quotes From Local Boiler and Heating Engineers

Losing your boiler during the cold months can be devastating…and expensive…Regardless if you’re looking for repairs, replacement or maintenance for your heating and hot water installation, Boiler Guide is the one stop shop to find all answers and solve all problems.

Get quotes from professional heating and hot water engineers in your area. All companies are Gas Safe registered and subjected to constant reviews by Boiler Guide to ensure every job is done professionally and safely and all customers are happy.

Shop smarter and get some free quotes for your boiler problems. Avoid unnecessary costs and choose the best solution and price for your budget.